God’s first counsel for us is to have a pure, kindly, and radiant heart. We can think of our hearts like mirrors that reflect the attributes and qualities of God, just like a regular mirror reflects the light of the sun. When a mirror is dirty or clouded, it fails to reflect light properly. In the same way, when the mirrors of our hearts are clouded with undesirable qualities such as jealousy, envy, anger, or prejudice, they cannot reflect the qualities of God properly. We must always strive to keep our hearts pure so that we can show forth spiritual qualities to the best of our ability.
Prayers/readings for study
“O SON OF SPIRIT! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting.” (Bahá’u’lláh, Arabic Hidden Words, #1)
“O God, guide me, protect me, make of me a shining lamp and a brilliant star. Thou art the Mighty and the Powerful.” (‘Abdu’l-Bahá)
- The story of the lady and her glass of water, from Ruhi Book 3, Grade 1, Lesson 1.
- My First Counsel (MP3, PDF with lyrics), by Janis VandenDool, included in Ruhi Book 3, Grade 1, Lesson 1. Available via the Ruhi Institute.
- Drawing 1 from Ruhi Book 3, Grade 1, Lesson 1: A child sharing flowers with others.
- “The Burning Thirst”. Tie sticks to the children’s arms so that they cannot bend their elbows, and then give them each a glass of water. Tell the children that they have to find a way to drink the water. Eventually, they will figure out that the only way to drink the water is to help each other.
- My cup runneth over: Take a dark liquid, a cup, a pitcher of water, and a wash basin, and use them to show what happens when we act kindly—or unkindly.
- Mirror flowers. Look for small mirrors in a craft store—the kind of mirrors you might find in a make-up box. Round ones would be best, but square or rectangular ones are OK too. Have the children cut out flower petals from foam sheets, and use adhesive to stick them onto the mirror, making a beautiful flower with a mirror in the middle. Similar to fun foam frames.
- pure, kindly, and radiant hearts (take 1)
- pure, kindly, and radiant hearts (take 2)
- pure, kindly, and radiant hearts (take 3)
Photo: Day 156: Radiant by Quinn Dombrowski. CC-BY-SA.